Blog #3: Speech Theories

Eight Values of Free Expression, are speech theories that represent the values of free speech in society. 

Out of these eight values, I feel that value number 5 (Check on Government Power) is the most important, and in a close second place value number 3 (Stable Change). When it comes to checking the government’s power it’s fundamental to ensure as a society or even as an individual we feel our rights are being protected and not taken away from us. Staying informed and then speaking out when there has been an abuse of power ensures the stability of our democracy. In terms of Stable Change, I think it's important because it shows why the government is important and valuable. We as Americans have the freedom to speak as we please, and/or push for societal betterment, freedom, and inclusion though not all groups agree. When certain groups decide to go from verbal hateful speech to hateful actions, subsequent punishments are upheld. It is a responsibility of our government to use its power to prevent harm to any given person.

A value that is most personal to me would be value number 4 (Individual Self-Fulfillment). I have always found myself to really value self-identity and autonomy. It is a basic human pursuit to be able to express oneself as they please. As a person who advocates for others or was raised to share my thoughts and feelings, I live my life based off of self-expression. I am grateful for my freedom to be able to express myself and find those who share similar mindsets all through the power of voice, freedom some may take for granted.

Value number 6 (Promote Tolerance), is a big value I am seeing in action today. At the current moment, there is a lot of speech circulating in media online which can be both hateful and personally upsetting. The ability or right to do so is protected but still being condemned creating a general societal idea of what is acceptable. This would be the hardest value for me despite understanding its importance. Every person has their opinions and can find any speech personally upsetting which is why the freedom is important. I hope that through more tolerance maybe one day there can be less hate and division.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #5: AntiWar

Blog #6: EOTO Reaction

Blog #7: Diffusion Theory