Final Blog Post


Our Relationship with Technology


Technology has created a completely new way to communicate, changed cultures, and advanced society, we are surrounded by it on a daily basis. I think technology makes things easier, provides comfort, and can be a fascinating aspect of society like self-driving cars or a warming drawer in your kitchen. I think it connects people across miles in a short period of time and allows new ways of self-expression. Social media allows you to connect to people who relate to you and have similar interests. People can see something they dislike about the government and society and then speak out about it. Technology also has created new careers while also getting rid of others. It has positively affected society while in other ways has done the opposite and negatively affected us. 

I think some people have gotten into the idea of having the latest and newest versions/updates of technology. Get excited to have the new headphones a year later than the ones before. In many ways, I think we have been blinded by technology and blurred the lines between wants and needs. I possibly spend too much time on my phone in order to stay connected but this results in a lack of in-person connection. Often I use technology for work or school so it is always a tool but other times when I should be engaging in a conversation I am answering texts. Though my awareness of this helps me to keep better tabs on my habits. With the accessibility of finding information, I believe people have not only developed digital amnesia but have become reliant on unreliable sources. It is also much easier to digitally alter things like photos and videos with advancing technology programs because of this I believe technology makes it easier to be misleading. Throughout time I have partially accepted that as technology advances and improves our lives in other ways there will be negative impacts that we must learn to navigate. As part of accepting this, I believe it is also important to remain educated and aware of both sides of the technological and online experience. 

A person’s online footprint is how easily they can be traced or found online. When looking up or googling myself the first result was a link to my Instagram art account, and then a link to multiple
LinkedIn profiles with a similar name to mine as well as myself. My online presence is limited when searching my name but from my LinkedIn, you can find out information on where I went to school and where I work. Which paints a simple image of where I come from and my interests. Though anyone who knows me personally or through friends and family can see I have more of an online presence with my regular Instagram account, and that takes a little more effort to find.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #5: AntiWar

Blog #6: EOTO Reaction

Blog #7: Diffusion Theory